The TN visa is only available to citizens of Canada and Mexico.
Additionally, there are certain designated TN categories. The applicant must be coming to the U.S. to work in one of the categories and the applicant must also have the education (preferably a bachelor degree) and/or experience required to perform that position.
The designated TN categories are as follows:
1. GENERAL:Accountant Architect Computer Systems Analyst Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster Economist Engineer Forester Graphic Designer Hotel Manager Industrial Designer Interior Designer Land Surveyor Landscape Architect Lawyer Librarian Management Consultant Mathematician Range Manager/Range Conservationist Research Assistant Scientific Technician/Technologist Social Worker Sylviculturist Technical Publications Writer Urban Planner Vocational Counselor
2. MEDICAL/ALLIED PROFESSIONAL:
- Medical Laboratory Technologist/Medical Technologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Registered Nurse
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Scientist
- Dairy Scientist
- Entomologist Epidemiologist
- Plant Breeder
- Poultry Scientist
- Soil Scientist
CHANGE OF STATUS IN THE US:
If the applicant is presently in the United States, in valid status, we can file an application for a change of status to TN.
TN APPLICATION FOR AN INDIVIDUAL OUTSIDE THE US:
Canadian citizens can apply for a TN visa directly at the border/port of entry. We can prepare the TN application for the individual to present to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer.
Mexican citizens must apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate abroad. We can prepare the TN application for the individual to present to the Consulate as well as facilitate making the consulate appointment.
How Long is the TN Visa Valid?
A TN visa holder is admitted for an initial period of 3 years and this may be renewed as long as the offer of employment is available. Visa validity may vary with country depending on visa reciprocity rules.
SPOUSES AND DEPENDENTS:
Spouses and minor children receive TD status, which allows them to reside legally in the U.S. for the duration of the visa but there is no work authorization with the TD status.