H-1B Degree Professionals

The H-1B visa requires you to find a sponsor willing to offer you a job for what is called a “specialty occupation” based on the following criteria:

  1. Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position;
  2. The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree;
  3. The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position;

For you to qualify to accept a job offer in a specialty occupation you must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required for the position offered from an accredited college or university;
  2. Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation;
  3. If required by the job, hold an unrestricted state license, registration, or certification which authorizes you to fully practice the specialty occupation and be engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment;
  4. Have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree, which we can determine by having your credentials evaluated.

If your degree was obtained abroad, or you possess a combination of experience and study that might be equal to a degree, we must submit your degree, transcripts and work experience to a credential evaluation firm to determine if it meets the U.S. standards of equivalency to a U.S. degree (fees range from approximately $100-$500 depending on time requirements and information provided).

H-1B visas are also subject to quota availability; check if the current year’s quota has been filled. Application period opens each year on April 1, six months prior to the October 1 start of the fiscal year and new quota. Follow the status on the U.S.C.I.S. website.

Neil J. Sheff Visas, Green Cards, Citizenship. Immigration Attorney
+310 446 3844 OR +310 496 1644