F-1 Students

For student related information, visit the EducationUSA website created by the Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to learn about educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, opportunities for scholars, financial aid, testing, admissions, and much more. For a brief overview, visit the America.gov article Basics on U.S. Visas .

The first step for a prospective nonimmigrant student is being accepted for enrollment in an established school which is SEVP certified . In general, for academic students, including those in language training, F visas are the appropriate category, and for nonacademic vocational students an M visa is the appropriate category.
If you are going to the U.S. primarily for tourism, but want to take a short course of study which is recreational, and the course is less than 18 hours per week, you may be able to do so on a visitor visa. If your course of study is 18 hours or more a week, you will need a student visa. When traveling to the U.S. to attend seminars or conferences for credit towards a degree, then you’ll need a student visa.

If you entered on a B-2 visa (Tourist) and decide while you are here that you would like to enroll in an approved educational program, we can process your “Change of Status” application once you have the approval to attend the school.
Spouses and minor children of F-1 Visa holders are given F-2 status which allows them to stay in legal status but not to work.

Neil J. Sheff Visas, Green Cards, Citizenship. Immigration Attorney
+310 446 3844 OR +310 496 1644