Change of Address

Most non-U.S. citizens must report a change of address within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories. Exceptions include:
– Diplomats (visa status A),
– Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and
– Certain non-immigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days.

How Do I Report My Change of Address?

If you are not a U.S. citizen, and do not belong to one of the three excepted groups listed above, please refer to the following table:

If you…Then you must…
Have no pending cases ->Contact our office and we will process your request for a small administrative fee or File Form AR-11 (online OR by mail)
Have a case pending OR recently approved case ->Contact our office and we will process your request for a small administrative fee or File Form AR-11 (online OR by mail), AND Change your address on pending cases (online OR by phone at 1-800-375-5283)

Note that if you submit a signed Form AR-11 online without also updating your address on pending applications and petitions, you will still need to do so either by calling 1-800-375-5283 or by going online to do so at a later time.

If you mail a paper Form AR-11, we strongly recommend using certified, registered or return receipt mail. This will give you documentation that you did mail the form to USCIS, in case there should ever be a question.

What Should I Include?

For the Form AR-11: Complete the information requested on the form, including present address, last address (most recent only), alien or registration number, country of citizenship, date of birth, and your signature.

You do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there.

When sending us a change of address, you do not need to include numerous last addresses; only the most recent last address is needed.

Be sure to also indicate in the appropriate block on the AR-11 your current employment and school, where applicable.

U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens are not required to file a Form AR-11 and can make a change of address on pending cases by calling our office or via the Online Change of Address page and by calling 1-800-375-5283. U.S. Citizens who do not have an application or petition pending with USCIS are only legally required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted an Affidavit of Support on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted an Affidavit of Support for someone who immigrated to the U.S., you must complete a Form I-865 within thirty days of the completion of your move.Change Address



Neil J. Sheff Visas, Green Cards, Citizenship. Immigration Attorney
+310 446 3844 OR +310 496 1644